97% of dogs and cats over three years old have some form of dental disease. But the amazing thing is, it can be easily prevented by getting your pet into a daily routine of brushing their teeth.
The key is to introduce the idea slowly. All you need is a tooth brush with medium bristles, the correct size for your cat or dog, and a pet enzymatic toothpaste – never use toothpaste intended for humans.
We can provide handy dental kits, specifically designed to cater for the needs of both cats and dogs.
Toothpaste kits are a great way to introduce pets to the benefits of a regular oral hygiene programme. The kits are specifically designed to cater for the needs of both cats and dogs.
Dogs’ Dental Kit – Poultry Flavour
- Contains: 70g Poultry flavoured Toothpaste, Fingerbrush, Dual-Ended Toothbrush and guide to oral hygiene.
- Cats’ Dental Kit – Fish Flavour
- Contains: 43g Fish flavoured Toothpaste, Fingerbrush, Cat Toothbrush and guide to oral hygiene.
- How to brush your pet’s teeth
- Keep it short and sweet
- Pick a time that suit your family to make it a daily routine
- Make it fun and reward good behaviour
- Start by handling your pet’s mouth daily and lift their lips
- Introduce toothpaste onto your finger and let them lick it off. Most pets like the taste
- Introduce the brush with a small amount of paste. Slowly place brush on the back teeth and start to brush. Don’t forget the praise!
- You might prefer a finger brush now – the kits mentioned above include one
- Continue building up slowly until you are able to brush all of their teeth
- Make sure your pet’s toothbrush is washed thoroughly after use and do not forget to change their brush regularly
Other dental care
These all-natural chews are ideal for teeth cleaning for dogs, helping to prevent dental plaque and tartar. They’re low in calories too, and used alongside teeth brushing can help with gum health. They are available in four sizes, from extra small dogs under 5kg, up to large dogs over 20kg.
Just as we might use mouthwash, Aquadent is a clever drinking water additive designed to fight plaque and tartar and prevent the fixing of calcium. It’s a great way to eliminate bad breath in dogs and cats, by adding 5ml per 500ml of water.
This natural food supplement helps to reduce bad breath, tartar and plaque. It’s cleverly formulated using algae, containing no added sugar or preservatives and is gluten free.